Maybe you’ve always wanted a beautiful white smile. Or your teeth have yellowed over time. Or you’re not happy with the staining that results from drinking coffee, tea or cola. Whatever your reason for wanting whiter teeth, you’re not alone.
Just like we all have different hair and skin colour, people also have different teeth colour. Some teeth are more yellow than others, while others yellow with ageing. Your natural tooth colour can also be affected by many factors.
Surface stains and internal discolouration can be caused by:
- The natural ageing process
- Using tobacco (smoked or chewed), drinking coffee, tea, colas or red wine, and eating pigmented foods such as cherries and blueberries
- Accumulation of plaque and tartar deposits
- Ingesting too much fluoride (more than 2 parts fluoride per million parts water) when teeth are forming, which gives teeth a “mottled” look
- Treatment with the antibiotic tetracycline during childhood
- Trauma to the teeth that may cause a brown, grey or black colour
There are many reasons for whitening your teeth, including:
- The boost to your confidence and self-esteem that comes from a great smile
- A younger appearance
- A special event such as a wedding, job interview or class reunion
- To make a positive first impression on others
- To simply reverse years of everyday staining and yellowing
Before beginning any whitening procedure, be sure to consult with your dentist. Only he or she can evaluate whether you’re a suitable candidate for a particular treatment.
At Implant & Dental Rodney Street, we offer in-chair whitening which can make your teeth white in as little as an hour. We also offer take home kits which you can use safely and effectively in your own home to achieve a bright and white smile in a few weeks.
Click HERE for more details.